Feed Shark
Custom Search

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Noobs view of Linux


Hello all,
I just installed a new Linux distro call Ubuntu, 4 days ago and am ready to give some in site into it.
Ubuntus version of Linux has been gathering my attention for over a year now,my knowledge of Linux is minimum at most. In the past i have tried Mandrake 9.1 and Suse 8.0,while Suse was my favorite to try and learn of the two. Well 4 days ago i decided to give it another try,installed a second hdd into my system for the new os and off i went. The installation was a breeze, as easy as windows or maybe even a little easier, Ubuntu 8.10 is a very easy distro to install,it walks you through the whole process. Fifteen minutes later I was done and ready to start playing! Now in the past i always had a very hard time getting online and decent video out of any Linux distro cause of the way you had to know the CLI (command line interface),which i am still very low in knowledge of. Ubuntu recognized my hardware immediately. I thought hmm they have come along way, then i tried to install my nvidia video drivers which i was never able to accomplish in Suse 8.0,well let me tell you it not only found them for me it installed them correctly! I have to admit that the ease of use on this distro has me reconsidering the thought of Linux as a secondary os to just "play with" as i have been able to do almost everything in Ubuntu that i can do in Windows. With a little more education and finding the ability to play my games and i may just move to Ubuntu as my main os! I am really enjoying this version of Ubuntu,the ease of use and installation combined with the better compatibility has made this a truly enjoyable experience. Ubuntu can be downloaded for free at this link.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

No comments:

Post a Comment